Some products could improve your health, but can also have quite the opposite effect if you use them incorrectly. While you buy them with the best intentions, these products can encourage the emergence of allergies, create skin infections or cause other problems.

Shower sponges

While showering with a sponge is far more comfortable and easier, you would never guess what is hidden in it. “Sponges are the perfect place for bacteria, fungi and molds,” says Dr. Jessica Vaiser, noting that each small wound on your body (even if it is a miniature, like the ones from a razor), carries the risk of infection. You can still use a sponge, but be careful about it and buy those made from natural fibers, because they contain enzymes that inhibit the growth of bacteria and mold. Also replace the sponge every month, and after each use, rinse it well and leave it in a cool, dry place.

Air cleaner

This device saves the lives of many people in the winter, because it prevents clogging of the nose and the appearance of dry skin. But it can develop mold and pathogens, which can be a problem if you’re struggling with allergies. If you use a humidifier at night, don’t just turn it off, because the remaining water in the bowl is an ideal environment for mold growth. Discard the remaining water and dry the device. It is also recommended that you clean the humidifier with brush and sponge every third day.

Cotton sticks

Although it seems repulsive, wax in our ears is there for a reason: to protect the delicate structure of the interior ear from dust and various debris. So the wax is healthy, although if too much of wax accumulates it can cause pain and inflammation. Therefore forget the sticks, because all you need to clean is part you will reach with a handkerchief by going around the entrance of the ear.

Antibacterial soap

Antibacterial soaps are inefficient, says professor of epidemiology with Columbia Elaine Larson. In a study involving two households, of which one used antibacterial soap, and other ordinary, it turned out that the members of both families were often sick and some ingredients in antibacterial soaps can cause resistance to antibacterial ingredients.

Simply wash your hands with soap and water and make sure to rub them well and rinse thoroughly.

Your chair

We all know how dangerous it is to spend time constantly sitting. In this way, you increase the risk of heart disease and obesity. Unfortunately, even if you exercise regularly, it does not diminish the significance of the day’s sitting at work, and then in the evening in front of the television or computer. Stand up whenever you can, go with colleagues for a quick walk if possible, take a glass of water and refill regularly. Light two-minute walk every hour reduces the risk of death by 23 percent. 


Of course you shouldn’t wash the blender after each use, but you are probably forgetting one thing: the rubber on the rim of the container holds the container closed. In a study from 2013 showed that this is the third thing with the most bacteria in the kitchen and that may contain salmonella, E. coli, yeast and mold. You should wash that part after every use.

Accessories for arranging nails

It’s great to do a manicure and pedicure at home, but that tools which you use may be full of dirt – it is normal that bacteria lives on the skin, so it “transfers” from nails to scissors, clippers and similar things. And if that equipment is not cleaned thoroughly, bacteria can quickly reproduce and cause skin infections. So wash all tools with soap and hot water after each use. Make sure to dry it thoroughly, and change it every three to four weeks.

Rubber spatula

Of course you clean it after each use, but did you clean the rubber part of the handle below? Probably not, and that makes a rubber spatula come as the second dirtiest thing in the kitchen. There you can easily find E. coli, yeast and mold. Therefore, if detachable, wash the entire spatula, both parts separately, and if it is in one piece make sure to rinse thoroughly.

Stuffed toys

Whether you still have your childhood toys or your kid’s toys, you should know that they are magnets for dust mites. Mites can cause development of allergies, sneezing, stuffy nose and red, watery eyes. There should be only one or two toys on your kid’s bed and the rest on the shelf. Change them every few weeks, or wrap them in a plastic bag and store in the freezer overnight to eliminate dust mites.

Tooth whitening paste

Most of us rely on toothpaste for fresh breath and clean teeth, but many use paste for teeth whitening. Just because it is something you can buy in any store it doesn’t mean it is harmless. Prolonged use of these pastes can increase sensitivity and ‘wears out’ tooth enamel, says Clifton M. Carey, a professor of dentistry at University in Colorado. These tooth whitening products do not even ask for your dentist’s recommendation, so watch out!

Ivan is a exercise enthusiast and has a great passion for healthy living. He is extremely dedicated, motivated and passionate towards achieving positive results and has a genuine interest in helping others achieve their goals. His motto is "If we work together, the success will come twice as fast!" His mission is to provide others with nutrition and diet tips, workout advice and anything else that will help promote a healthier lifestyle.