The reality of today’s hectic lifestyle is the inability to devote sufficient time to proper diet and regular exercise. Bearing in mind the hectic life of people who are employed nowadays, in this article we bring you the diet for working people that doesn’t require sacrificing time and many obligations. Besides helping individuals lose weight, this diet will help you maintain a healthy body weight and lead a healthy lifestyle.
Seven Principles of Diet for Working Person
Doctors are aware of the fact that the same principle of diet absolutely cannot be applied to everyone, therefore, they bring a number of tips that everyone could adjust to their own lifestyle. The diet is based on seven principles:
- Increase the volume of food by eating foods rich in water and nutrients, and low in calories. In particular, your menu should contain plenty of fruits, vegetables, soups and low-fat dairy products. Foods rich in fiber are also an important part of a diet therefore add whole grains and legumes into your diet. It is not necessary to reduce serving sizes, which will help you avoid starvation. Besides, always have a plan B, in case you forget to bring your lunch from home.
- Limit the intake of liquid calories because it is very easy to overdose on sweetened soft drinks, juices, sports drinks and alcoholic beverages and unconsciously intake too much energy which is then permanently stored in the adipose tissues.
- At work, you should always be ready, regardless of the amount of stress. In particular at workplace you should surround yourself with fresh and dried fruits, nuts and low-fat yogurt for the moments of hunger to reach for low-calorie options. Also, it is recommended to eat from smaller bowls and drink from small glasses to help control portion size.
- We know that busy people cannot always achieve the recommended half an hour of intense exercise every day, but gym is not the only place where you can exercise. For more physical activity use the stairs instead of the elevator, walk or ride a bike to work, walk while you are on your phone, instead of going to the cinema try bowling, wash the car yourself rather than in the car wash, etc.
- Stop thinking in terms of ‘all or nothing’ due to the fact that no one is perfect, and feel free to occasionally enjoy your favorite foods without worrying that it will destroy the results you have achieved.
- Plan ahead, especially meals at work. Pasta salads or salads from a variety of grains and vegetables, cheese, beans or grilled chicken are very easy to make, doesn’t take much time and save your budget. Also, find out about the restaurant menu in advance where you’re going on a business lunch or dinner to be ready to choose the optimal meal.
- You should always have a plan B, in case you’re not able to achieve the planned exercise or you maybe forget to bring the lunch with you due to busy schedule. You should always have protein bars or dried fruits in the bag, to satisfy the hunger between the obligations and exercise.
An average active person consumes 3 servings of starchy foods per day; they should be replaced with foods rich in fiber. Fat intake should also be limited and protein intake should be increased. Also, it is recommended to increase the intake of omega-3 fatty acids in the form of a supplements or multivitamin preparations.
Health benefits of this diet
This diet brings a number of practical tips that will help you achieve realistic goals in a modification of dietary habits and physical activity in short period of time. Despite propagating supplements, this diet especially emphasis a healthy lifestyle, which is essential for achieving and maintaining lean figure. Weight loss is gradual, which is good because it reduces a risk of a yo-yo effect. Also, no starvation, nor prohibited foods.
Disadvantages of this diet
There is a possibility of too low intake of fat that is necessary for normal functioning of the body. Liberal tips are also not appropriate for people who are motivated by a structured weight loss plan. Besides, the specific amounts of certain food groups are missing which makes this diet a general advice, not a program for the individual.
- Breakfast: Omelet with vegetables, and whole grain bread
- Snack: Protein bars
- Lunch: Risotto with chicken salad
- Snack: Fruits, yogurt
- Dinner: Vegetable soup